Guar Gum is also known to be cultivated in
Texas, USA, some parts of South Africa, Malawi etc., but not in very large
commercial quantities. In India the sowing season for guar is end of July
and it is harvested during November (usually 90 days crop).
For effective Guar Gum cultivation, the crop needs two rainfalls before
sowing, one rainfall when the crop buds out and another rainfall when the
crop comes up well and blossoming starts. Then it requires plenty of
sunshine and dry weather to come up really well. During harvesting period it
again needs good sunshine in order to dry up and become usable for
Guar Gum has been traditionally an annual crop cultivated in those areas
which are dependent upon monsoon rains. However, due to higher prices of
guar during the second half of nineties and early twenties, farmers have
been encouraged to cultivate second crop of guar in irrigated farms, which
is harvested during September. This additional crop has played a major role
in checking unwanted hoarding and speculating in guar. Also, it suffices any
shortfall in the main crop that is harvested during November.
Guar Gum is derived from the seeds of the guar plant 'Cyamopsis
tetragonalobus' belongs to the family Leguminosae. Guar Gum Powder is a
white to yellowish white powder. It is almost odourless and fine powder.
Guar Gum is available in different mesh sizes and viscosity.
Guar Gum is a natural high molecular weight hydrocolloidal polysaccharide
composed of galactose and mannose combined through glycosidic linkages,
which may be described chemically as galactomannan. Guar Gum is easily
soluble in Cold and Hot water (in colloidal form only).
Minimum standards for good quality guar gum have been defined in the United
States FCC and by European Union Specifications, E-412 as under:
Moisture: 14% max.Ash (total): 1.5% max.
Acid Insoluble Residue: 4% max.
Galactomannan: 75% min.
Protein: 7% max.
Arsenic: 3 ppm max.
Lead: 10 ppm max.
Zinc: 25 ppm max.
Copper & Zinc: 50 ppm max.
Guar Gum - Uses & Applications:
In Food Industry:
Guar gum is used as Gelling,
viscosifying, thickening, clouding, and binding agent. Also used for
emulsification, preservation, water retention, enhancement of water soluble
fibre content etc. in the food industry.
Some food products in which guar gum powder is used:
- Ice Cream, Soft Drinks & Concentrates etc.
- Flavoured milks, chocolate milk
- Jams, jellies, fruit spreads, jelly sweets
- Bread, Biscuit and other Baked Foods
- Ham and Sausages,
- Soft cheese and cheese spreads
- Canned or Retorted Food of Fish and Meat
- Mayonnaise, Ketchup, Sauce and Dressings
- Noodles and pasta
In Pharmaceutical Industry:
Some of the pharmaceutical products in which guar gum powder is used:
- Anti-acid formulations
- Tablet binding and disintegration agent
- Controlled drug delivery systems
- Slimming aids
- Nutritional foods
In the Cosmetic Industry:
Some of the cosmetic products in which guar gum powder is used:
- Creams and skin care products
- Tooth pastes
- Shampoos, conditioners, and gels
- Shaving creams
- Nutritional foods
In Industrial Applications:
Guar Gum powder is a very versatile product and finds is used in a score of
industrial applications, as thickening, sizing agent, wet-end strength
additive, gelling agent and water barrier, flocculation aid, for waste water
treatment, as emulsifier, binder. Also used for mud formulations, enhanced
oil recovery, polymer flooding, well treatment, lost circulation plugging
of the industries where guar gum powder is used:
- Textile processing
- Paper Industry
- Mining Industry
- Mosquito repellant coils
- Oil, Gas & Petroleum Industry
Guar Gum Grades & Specifications:
1. Guar Splits: 90 - 95% Dehusked splits, Double Refined.
2. Plain Guar Gum Powder: Coarse 40/60 to Fine 350 mesh, with viscosity
ranging from 2500 cps to 7000 cps.
3. Modified Guar Gum Powder: Modified Guar Gum Powder for various
We would be glad to send you specifications on request. Please contact us
for obtaining specifications of our products.
Packaging & Storage:
Guar Gum Powder & splits are available in various standard packages.
- 25 Kg Mulitwall Paper bags with PE liner inside (brown / white).
- 25 Kg. Single ply paper bags with HDPE lamination and PE liner inside
(brown / white).
- 25 / 50 Kg. PP-Woven bags with PE liner insider.
- 650 Kg - 1000 Kg Bulk Bags (including FIBC bags).
- Other packages can be arranged upon specific request.
Palletizing & shrink-wrapping can be done on request.
Guar Gum should be stored in cool and dry place, away from direct sun
Shree Vinayak Ingredients (A Unit of Shree Vinayak Corporation), All